In this second module, you will dive into the details of e-waste legislation and the main recycling mechanisms in Europe. You will also learn about the illegal trade of e-waste and the informal recycling sector.
The WEEE Illegal Trade (CWIT) project found that in Europe, out of all the e-waste discarded in 2012, only 35% (3.3 million tonnes) was officially reported as collected and recycled waste. The other 65% (6.15 million tonnes) was either:
1.3 million tonnes departed the EU in undocumented exports. These shipments are also likely to be classified as illegal as they do not adhere to the guidelines for differentiating used equipment from waste.
Congratulations! You just completed Module 2! Test what you have learned by taking a short quiz. Each question has one possible answer. Once you finish the quiz, you can move on to the next module.
If you are a teacher and have decided to explore this topic with your classroom, then you have come to the right place! In this space, you will find ideas on how to prepare e-waste lessons. Additional suggestions for learning targets have also been uploaded and they include:
● Lesson timeline
● Topics to be taught
● Group exercises
The topics introduced here can intersect with chemistry, geography and other science classes (e.g. environmental education).